For those seeking something a little more sophisticated
The Ornate ticks all the traditional chandelier boxes. Classic silhouette, additional ‘bowl’ at the base with a cluster of intricate bead work, detachable glass ‘crystals’ and double side swags.
All these elements add up to create a vintage inspired masterpiece, but with the added modern cool of clay beads.‘S Hooks’ can be provided upon request to suspend your chandelier for those who can’t get enough of the twisty metal detail.
Classic, traditional design with the added detail of swags, ‘crystals’ and a top/belly band
Available in sizes Small to Extra Large (images are of a Large).
- Choose between a ‘solid’ colour or or ‘contrasting’ top/belly band
- Handmade in Africa by a beautiful community in Kwazulu Natal.
- Each clay bead is hand rolled, kiln fired, then dip dyed before being individually strung onto a wrought iron frame and available in a range of colors, including our signature ombre.
Minimal design, clean and simple.
Introducing klaylife – clay beaded lighting and jewellery, proudly hand crafted by the women of South Africa.
Unlike so many products that come off the factory line, ours have a human story. They’re lovingly created by a community of women in Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa*.
Drawing on African heritage and craftsmanship, each clay bead is hand rolled using raw clay. They are then sun dried, kiln fired and dip-dyed and in the case of our lights, masterfully strung onto its unique iron frame. This hand made process ensures that no two pieces will ever be the same.
Initially, our clay beaded pieces were crafted by local women whose lives had been impacted by HIV and so desperately needed an income to support their families. Over time, as popularity grew, more and more women with differing circumstances approached us for work. As a result the criteria has been broadened to any local woman who is prepared to put in the effort to create something special.
In 2012, 8 ladies were permanently employed. There are now over 65 dedicated women rolling beads and creating their own masterpiece. More importantly, they’re making a difference to their local community.
Today our contemporary chandeliers can be found lighting up some of the most gorgeous homes, hotels, restaurants and reception centres around the world.
klaylife is run by a South African family now based in Melbourne, Australia.
- PRODUCTION TYPE: Handmade, One of a Kind
- PRODUCTION TIME: 2-12 weeks
- MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES: Beaded Clay
- DIMENSIONS: Small - XL (size listed is Medium but contact us for a quote on other sizes)
- DIMENSIONS inc wire curls (approx)
- Small: 70cm high x 60cm diameter\6kg
- Medium: 85cm high x 70cm diameter \15kg
- Large: 100cm high x 90cm diameter\30kg
- XL: 110cm high x 116cm diameter\45kg
- Colour: We can custom make any colour you like. See colour swatch in image gallery
- Origin: Africa / Australia