- MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES: Beaded Clay
- SIZES: Medium and Large
- DIMENSIONS inc wire curls (approx):
- Medium: 80cm high x 40cm diameter (31" high x 16" diameter) / 20kg (44 pounds)
- Large: 110cm high x 50cm diameter (43" high x 19" diameter) / 35kg (78 pounds)
- Colour: White, Grey or Ombre
- Note: We can custom-make any colour you like (see colour swatch in gallery)
- Origin: Africa / Australia
- PRODUCTION TYPE: Handmade, One of a Kind
- PRODUCTION TIME: 2-12 weeks
Introducing klaylife – clay beaded lighting and jewellery, proudly hand crafted by the women of South Africa.
Unlike so many products that come off the factory line, ours have a human story. They’re lovingly created by a community of women in Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa*.
Drawing on African heritage and craftsmanship, each clay bead is hand rolled using raw clay. They are then sun dried, kiln fired and dip-dyed and in the case of our lights, masterfully strung onto its unique iron frame. This hand made process ensures that no two pieces will ever be the same.
Initially, our clay beaded pieces were crafted by local women whose lives had been impacted by HIV and so desperately needed an income to support their families. Over time, as popularity grew, more and more women with differing circumstances approached us for work. As a result the criteria has been broadened to any local woman who is prepared to put in the effort to create something special.
In 2012, 8 ladies were permanently employed. There are now over 65 dedicated women rolling beads and creating their own masterpiece. More importantly, they’re making a difference to their local community.
Today our contemporary chandeliers can be found lighting up some of the most gorgeous homes, hotels, restaurants and reception centres around the world.